Should I post this on Facebook I? I have really enjoyed being on Facebook for the mere fact of having a tool that I can stay in touch with friends who I don’t have daily or regular contact with. I love hearing the good news of new babies, basic updates of how friends are, knowing how I should pray for others and seeing recent pics of friends and family. Personally I have loved to have a place to share our own prayer needs as a family. So there are definite pluses to Facebook….BUT I think that at times we become easily misguided when it comes to discerning what we should post or not post. I admit it here, with my hand held high… I have been guilty of posting things that should have stayed in my brain. Here are some statuses you may have read before:
- defame another person
- try to cause guilt/shame feelings
- spew negativity about a place, person or situation
Proverbs 10:19 is a great one I need to tatoo to my arm, it says…“When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise. ”
“A man who lacks judgment derides his neighbor, but a man of understanding holds his tongue. A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy man keeps a secret.”
- tear down people/relationships
- gossip about others
- build ourselves up and be prideful
- discredit others
- Is this post gossip?
- Is it building up or tearing down someone else?
- Am I trying to lay a guilt trip on someone by posting this?
- Am I being threatening or judgement about someone?