Traveling with kids by yourself can be an interesting and challenging situation. I mentioned yesterday that the boys and I went to visit my mom for a few days while my hubby flew to Arkansas to pick up our new vehicle.
I haven’t driven by myself with the boys for a trip to my moms in almost 2 years. It’s really not my favorite thing to do because it’s a lot of work in my opinion.
The rental car I drove to mom’s was packed full of the boys stuff and we usually have to leave out their double stroller cause it’s just takes up so much needed space for other belongings. This time was no exception and so I was without the stroller on this trip. It’s usually not a problem to be without a stroller when you have that extra set of hands but I realized as I dropped hubby off at the airport that I most likely wouldn’t be able to stop off to use the restroom from LAX to my parents house.
My boys are 2 and they listen moderately well but not to the point where I could just grab them by the hands and have them effortlessly follow me wherever I lead them. They will let me lead them to a point but eventually one of them gets the urge to stop and look at something or wants to wander off and usually starts leaning towards a different direction. My least favorite is when they decide to drop to their knees and resist moving….kinda like when you try to take your pet to the vet and they just stop dead in their tracks before you reach the door.
Overall though the boys did great on the car trip to my parents. They slept for a little bit and then I had sippy cups and snacks ready for them when they started to get restless. I was so thankful when we finally did arrive to my parents. I was able to wrangle both boys out of the car and lead them to my parents front door without any major incidents.
For trips by myself or with hubby here are few things we do to hopefully make the trip a little more enjoyable:
- Travel during their nap time –
- Take a break and let the kids stretch their little legs. We usually stop for lunch and a place for the kids to run around- we usually stop a McDonalds or Chik-fil-A.
- Be prepared for sun- our old car didn’t have tinted windows so I had to always make sure I had a blanket available or a shade for the windows.
- Tub of Baby wipes (great for cleaning hands or any other messes that happen) I like to have the tub because the travel wipes just aren’t enough for two toddlers.
- Hand Sanitizer– when my hubby and I travel with the boys we like to stop at any fast food place that has an indoor play area. We always make wipe the boys hands with baby wipes and then use hand sanitizer after they’re done playing.
- Small Cooler for the boys sippys, snacks etc.
- Paper Towels– I just like having some handy for an unexpected messes by us or the kids.
- Fully Stocked Diaper Bag nearby
- The Boys favorite toys- usually we bring some books or their toy laptop computers to help pass the time.
What are some things you do when traveling with your little one?